I?ve tested lots of soda bread recipes and I like this one best. It is moister and has a finer texture than most soda breads. It also has a subtle sweet taste.
2 cups flour 1/4 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries or golden raisins 1 teaspoon caraway seed, optional 1 egg 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 7 inch round cast iron skillet or a baking sheet.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cranberries, and caraway seeds. Stir to mix. In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, and sour cream. Beat well. Add liquid ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Dough will be sticky. Place dough into skillet or on a baking sheet. Form into a rounded ball. Smooth top slightly. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 230 Fat, gm.: 1 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 50 Cholesterol, mg.: 25 Fiber, gm.: 1.3
- Circus World director 'optimistic' in wake of Ringling Bros. shutdown
- Missing Beloit man found dead
- Billion dollar company plans for joint venture
- Superior boat builder secures $6M contract for Texas project
- Man suffers serious injuries in snowmobile rollover
- Janesville police looking for accused Target thief