The Irish really know how to blend potatoes and cabbage to make a wonderful, mild flavored, comfort-food soup. The cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family which has some major cancer fighting nutrients.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, diced 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme 1/2 teaspoon white pepper 1 teaspoon dill weed 6 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided 5 cups coarsely shredded cabbage 1/2 cup fat-free milk salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add thyme, white pepper, dill weed, and 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover pan and continue to boil gently for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Using a hand held immersion blender, puree soup. Add cabbage. Cover pan and boil gently for 15 - 25 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If soup is too thick, add additional chicken broth to desired consistency.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 125 Fat, gm.: 3 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 20 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 3.5
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal