This is a real Irish comfort food and a great St. Patrick's Day meal for those people who aren't corned beef and cabbage lovers.
1-1/ pounds lean beef, cut in 2" cubes 1/4 cup flour 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided 2 cans (15 ounces) fat-free beef broth, divided 1 cup Guinness beer 1 large onion, chopped 1 cup chopped carrots 1 cup chopped parsnips 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cubed*
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place beef cubes in a plastic bag. Combine flour, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add to bag with the meat. Toss to evenly coat the meat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven. Add meat and cook over medium-high heat until meat pieces are brown on all sides. Remove meat from pan and set aside. Add 1 can (15 ounces) beef broth to deglaze the pan. Return meat to the pan and add beer. Cover and place in oven for 40 - 60 minutes. Meanwhile prepare vegetables. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add carrots and parsnips. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove meat from oven and add all vegetables. Return to oven and bake 1 hour or until meat and all vegetables are tender. Check occasionally and add additional broth if needed.
Note: To make it easier to cube the rutabaga, peel it and then microwave it for 3 - 4 minutes. This will soften it slightly and make it much easier to cut.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 400 Fat, gm.: 14 Protein, gm.: 39 Carbs, gm.: 28 Cholesterol, mg.: 80 Fiber, gm.: 4.2
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes