Use your left-over holiday ham to create this super satisfying soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, chopped 1 medium red bell pepper, diced 1 medium green bell pepper, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 3/4 pound (2 cups) diced lean ham 6 cups fat-free chicken broth 1 bay leaf 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1 large potato, peeled and finely chopped 1-1/2 cups frozen corn 1/2 cup fat-free half and half 1/8 teaspoon white pepper salt and black pepper to taste
In a large sauce pan or soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add red pepper and green pepper. Cook until tender. Add garlic and ham. Cook 3 - 4 minutes. Add broth, bay leaf, thyme, and potato. Bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat and continue to boil gently for 30 - 45 minutes or until potatoes pieces are very tender. Stir to smash some of the potatoes which will thicken the soup. Keep warm over low heat. About 10 minutes before serving, add corn, half and half, and white pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Remove bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 265 Fat, gm.: 8 Protein, gm.: 22 Carbs, gm.: 26 Cholesterol, mg.: 40 Fiber, gm.: 32
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall