This is a dessert that you savor with every bite. The soft delicate flavor of the flan is enhanced with the zippy pomegranate sauce.
2 cups fat-free milk 1 cup fat-free half and half 1/2 cup sugar 2 tablespoons brown sugar 5 eggs 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons vanilla 1 tablespoon rum, brandy, or Southern Comfort, optional
Pomegranate Topping 1 cup pomegranate juice 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup Splenda or another 1/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons cornstarch 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter bottom of a 9 inch deep pie pan or eight individual 6-inch flan cups. Prepare water bath by adding hot water to the baking pan. In a large bowl, combine milk, half and half, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, and rum. Beat until well mixed. Pour mixture into pie pan or individual flan cups. Place pie pan or flan cups in the water bath. Bake for 50 - 70 minutes or until set in the middle. Remove from oven and cool in refrigerator.
Prepare pomegranate topping. In a small saucepan, combine pomegranate juice, sugar, Splenda, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil gently for 3 ? 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add pomegranate arils. Cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Spoon sauce on top of each individual pie piece or on top of each individual flan cup. The sauce may have to be warmed slightly if it is too thick to spoon.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 180 Fat, gm.: 2 Protein, gm.: 7 Carbs, gm.: 33 Cholesterol, mg.: 115 Fiber, gm.: 0.1
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes