Choose a variety of fall vegetables, combine it with white beans and add the flavor of Italian sausage for a fantastic fall soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, chopped 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups) 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 low fat Italian sausage link 2 teaspoons minced garlic 3 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth, divided 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, undrained 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning salt and pepper to taste 6 ounces fresh spinach, optional
In a large soup pan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add carrots and rutabaga and cook until vegetables are beginning to brown. Remove meat from sausage casing, add to pan and cook until beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add potatoes, 2 cans broth, beans, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add additional broth to thin to desired consistency.
When ready to serve, if desired, add spinach and cook for 1 - 2 minutes or just until wilted.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 375 Fat, gm.: 5 Protein, gm.: 23 Carbs, gm.: 60 Cholesterol, mg.: 10 Fiber, gm.: 5.0
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs