Choose a variety of fall vegetables, combine it with white beans and add the flavor of Italian sausage for a fantastic fall soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, chopped 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups) 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 low fat Italian sausage link 2 teaspoons minced garlic 3 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth, divided 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, undrained 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning salt and pepper to taste 6 ounces fresh spinach, optional
In a large soup pan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add carrots and rutabaga and cook until vegetables are beginning to brown. Remove meat from sausage casing, add to pan and cook until beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add potatoes, 2 cans broth, beans, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add additional broth to thin to desired consistency.
When ready to serve, if desired, add spinach and cook for 1 - 2 minutes or just until wilted.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 375 Fat, gm.: 5 Protein, gm.: 23 Carbs, gm.: 60 Cholesterol, mg.: 10 Fiber, gm.: 5.0
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns