With a few basis ingredients that you probably have on hand, you can make your own enchilada sauce. When I was experimenting with recipes, this one won hands down. It surely beats the enchilada sauce in a can!
2 tablespoons canola oil 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons flour 2 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce 1 tablespoon chili powder 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon cumin dash cayenne pepper
In a medium sauce pan, heat oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute as mixture thickens. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Add additional chicken broth to thin to desired consistency.
Add extra cayenne pepper or extra chili powder to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 85 Fat, gm.: 5 Protein, gm.: 2 Carbs, gm.: 8 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 1.5
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement