Any combination of ground meat with added flavorful ingredients make great empanadas. Add seasonings of your choice. The hotter the better!
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 pounds lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (hot or smoky)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 hard cooked egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green olive
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside. Add ground beef to skillet and cook until brown.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cumin and paprika.
In a large bowl, combine reserved onions, ground beef, raisins, egg, green onions, and green olives. Stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled. (It is easier to fill the empanadas if the filling is cold.) Makes 4 cups.
Spoon a few tablespoons of filling on one half of each empanada. Fold over and moisten the edges with a small amount of water. Press dough firmly together with your fingers or a fork. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush with a small amount of oil or with a beaten egg wash.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Bake for 5 ? 10 minutes or just until golden brown.
Nutritional Information per serving (3 tablespoons):
- Calories 75
- Fat, gm. 2
- Protein, gm. 6
- Carbs, gm. 8
- Cholesterol, mg. 30
- Fiber, gm. .6
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says