If you would prefer a homemade version of the traditional canned cream of chicken soup, this is an easy combination of dry ingredients that you can keep on hand. It works great in recipes that call for canned soup.
1 cup nonfat dry milk 2/3 cup flour or 1/3 cup cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon dried ground thyme 1/4 teaspoon dried basil 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1-1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon* 1 cup fat-free chicken broth, optional*
In a zip lock plastic bag, combine all ingredients except chicken broth. Mix well. Store until ready to prepare soup.
To make soup, place 1/3 cup of dried mixture in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup water. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil gently for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add additional water to thin to desired consistency.
*Note: To make a soup with less sodium, omit the chicken bouillon in the dry mixture. To prepare the soup, place 1/3 cup of dried mixture in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup chicken broth. Follow directions above.
To use in a recipe, thin with water, broth, or milk to desired consistency.
Makes equivalent of 4 to 5 cans of condensed soup.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 180 Fat, gm.: 0 Protein, gm.: 13 Carbs, gm.: 32 Cholesterol, mg.: 5 Fiber, gm.: 0
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 Janesville motorcyclists
- Man accused in deadly wrong-way I-94 wreck not competent, judge says
- Woman inappropriately touched at dance class on UW campus, police say
- Black Hawk Middle School principal resigns
- Man who was high driving school bus sentenced
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline