If you would prefer a homemade version of the traditional canned cream of chicken soup, this is an easy combination of dry ingredients that you can keep on hand. It works great in recipes that call for canned soup.
1 cup nonfat dry milk 2/3 cup flour or 1/3 cup cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon dried ground thyme 1/4 teaspoon dried basil 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1-1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon* 1 cup fat-free chicken broth, optional*
In a zip lock plastic bag, combine all ingredients except chicken broth. Mix well. Store until ready to prepare soup.
To make soup, place 1/3 cup of dried mixture in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup water. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil gently for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add additional water to thin to desired consistency.
*Note: To make a soup with less sodium, omit the chicken bouillon in the dry mixture. To prepare the soup, place 1/3 cup of dried mixture in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup chicken broth. Follow directions above.
To use in a recipe, thin with water, broth, or milk to desired consistency.
Makes equivalent of 4 to 5 cans of condensed soup.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 180 Fat, gm.: 0 Protein, gm.: 13 Carbs, gm.: 32 Cholesterol, mg.: 5 Fiber, gm.: 0
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral