It is great when an appetizer can be healthful and tasty too.
1/2 cup lentils 1-1/4 cups water 1 bay leaf 1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder 1/4 cup chicken broth, divided (to thin) 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 small onion, finely diced 1 clove garlic, finely minced salt and pepper, to taste 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
Wash lentils and place in small saucepan. Add water, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover pan, reduce heat and boil gently for 30 - 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf. Place lentils, curry powder, and 2 tablespoons chicken broth in small food processor and process until mixture is smooth.
In a small skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
In a small bowl, combine pureed lentils, onions, and garlic. Add additional broth if needed to thin to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place in serving bowl and top with chopped fresh tomatoes.
Serve with bread or crackers.
Note: Double the recipe for a bigger crowd.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 85 Fat, gm.: 3 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 10 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 5.3
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry