This is an extremely attractive dish and the bonus is that it is made without a high fat crust. Serve it for brunch, a light supper, or cut it in small pieces for an appetizer.
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 slices bread, cubed
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Optional Topping - optional
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 inch pie pan. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, spinach, 1-1/2 cups cheese, bread cubes, onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until well mixed. Spoon into pie pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 35 ? 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
If desired, garnish each serving with dollop of sour cream and salsa.
Note: Use any shredded cheese of your choice. The calories and fat in this recipe can be further reduced by using a low fat cheese and liquid egg substitute.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 18
Protein, gm. 20
Carbs, gm. 11
Cholesterol, mg. 225
Fiber, gm. 1.9
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls