Surprise your family with a pasta buffet. Cut up and cook a variety of vegetables and other favorite ingredients your kids may enjoy. Let everyone create their own pasta bowl. The kids may try some new foods if they can combine familiar foods with new colorful attractive vegetables. This homemade Alfredo sauce is significantly lower in fat than the traditional recipe.
- 16 ounces of 51% whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese)
- 3 ounces (1 ½ cups) grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- pepper to taste
Cooked vegetables and other topping ideas*
- broccoli florets, cauliflower, peas, colorful peppers, beans, spinach, mushrooms, etc.
- shrimp, chicken, ham, or salmon
- shredded cheese
In a large saucepan, cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a small jar or shaker, combine chicken broth and flour. Shake until well mixed. Pour into heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, while stirring constantly with a whisk. Gently boil for 1 minute. Mixture will be very thick. Add cream cheese and stir with a whisk until totally blended. Add Parmesan cheese and white pepper. Stir until blended. Gradually add milk, while stirring constantly, to reach desired consistency. Add sherry and pepper to taste.
Keep warm over very low heat. Add additional milk or broth if needed to thin to desired consistency.
On a serving platter or individual plates, place desired amount of warm pasta.
Spoon your choice of vegetables and other toppings over pasta. Top with Alfredo sauce. Sprinkle with additional grated cheese if desired.
*Note: Other vegetables or pasta sauces of your choice may be used.
Nutritional Information per serving without the pasta and vegetables:
Calories: 110 Fat, gm.: 6 Protein, gm.: 7 Carbs, gm.: 7 Cholesterol, mg.: 20 Fiber, gm.: 0.1
Nutritional Information per serving with pasta, without vegetables:
Calories: 320 Fat, gm.: 8 Protein, gm.: 14 Carbs, gm.: 45 Cholesterol, mg.: 20 Fiber, gm.: 5.7
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion