These are a wonderful soft very tender cookie with healthful oatmeal, cranberries, and walnuts. If desired, Splenda can replace some of the sugar.
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco trans-fat free)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend or an additional 1 cup regular brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, finely chopped*
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease large cookie sheets. In a large mixing bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar, and Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. Beat well. Add eggs and beat well. Add cranberries, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour and beat well. Stir in oatmeal, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Drop teaspoons of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or just until brown on the bottom of the cookie and cookie is set. Do not over-bake. Cool on racks. Store in airtight plastic bags after cookies are cool.
The cranberries are best chopped in a small food processor.
Note: These cookies can be made without the chocolate chips but chocolate makes everything better! Serves 80
Nutritional Information per cookie:
Fat, gm. 3
Protein, gm. 1
Carbs, gm. 8
Cholesterol, mg. 5
Fiber, gm. 0.5
Note from Donna: I have lots more recipes available in my MOM'S UPDATED RECIPE BOX 2nd edition cookbook. There are 300 recipes that are healthy, modern versions of all your family's favorite homestyle recipes. If you would like a copy, I can send it to you and you can return a check after you receive it. - $15 plus $1.50 postage.
Please call me at (608) 263-9128 or email me at
E-Mail Donna Thanks, Donna Weihofen
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 reopens near Blue Mounds after semi vs. car crash
- Police: Family member found elderly woman dead in garage with head wound