Add zucchini to this couscous recipe recently featured on the morning show. Use it as a side dish or add chicken or shrimp for a great summer supper meal.
1 can (15 ounces) fat-free chicken broth 1 cup whole wheat couscous 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed 1 medium zucchini, cut in julienne slices 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped 1 can (11 ounces) corn, drained 2 medium Roma tomato, seeded and chopped 1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro 3/4 cup chopped green onions 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dressing 3 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons lime juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon cumin salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, heat chicken broth to boiling. Add couscous, cover pan and continue to boil gently for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let set for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool to room temperature. I n a large bowl, combine black beans, zucchini, red pepper, corn, tomatoes, parsley, onions, and cheese.
In a small jar or shaker combine dressing ingredients. Cover and shake to mix. Pour into bowl with bean mixture. Stir to mix. Add cooled couscous and stir to mix. Let stand at least 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Serve at room temperature. Makes 10 cups.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 185 Fat, gm.: 5 Protein, gm.: 8 Carbs, gm.: 28 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 5.7
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving