Use the best of the fall vegetables to make this great soup. There is a blend of unusual seasonings that gives it a fantastic flavor.
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil 1 large onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced 3 medium kohlrabi, peeled and diced 1 cup fresh green beans, cut in 1" pieces 6 cups fat-free chicken broth (49 ounce large can) 15 ounces canned garlic seasoned diced tomatoes 15 ounces great northern beans 1 pound cooked Italian sausage links pieces, optional salt and pepper to taste
Topping 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream dash hot pepper sauce, to taste 1/4 cup sliced black olives
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric. Cook 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, bean, chicken broth, tomatoes, and undrained bean. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and soup is desired consistency. Add Italian sausage if desired. For the topping, mix sour cream and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl. Add a dollop to each bowl of soup. Garnish with olives.
Nutritional Information per serving without the sausage: Calories 260 Fat, gm. 2 Protein, gm. 15 Carb. gm. 46 Cholesterol, mg. 2 Fiber, gm. 2.1
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire