Serve this wonderful light but flavorful soup on St. Patrick?s Day. It is a fast and easy way to enjoy your corned beef and cabbage. It really is good and you may want to make it often throughout the year.
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 large onion, diced 1 pound corned beef, cubed 6 cups shredded cabbage (about ½ medium head of cabbage) 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes 1 can (49 ounces) V-8® vegetable juice or chicken broth 3 tablespoons soy sauce 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 3 slices rye bread, diced 2 cups chicken broth, optional salt and pepper to taste
In a medium soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add corned beef and cook 2 minutes. Add cabbage and cook until wilted. Add all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and continue to boil gently for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add chicken broth to thin to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: If leftovers of the soup are re-warmed, extra broth will be needed to thin.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 245 Fat, gm.: 9 Protein, gm.: 20 Carbs, gm.: 22 Cholesterol, mg.: 45 Fiber, gm.: 4.7
- Police: Woman stabbed with scissors in neck by her boyfriend
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed
- Woman arrested, suspected of abducting her kids
- ACLU: Youth prison lawsuit prompted by silence from investigators
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles