Add an array of colorful veggies and beans to cooked rice and combine it with a subtle dressing for a wonderful side dish salad. Add chicken, tuna or salmon for an entrée salad.
1 cup broccoli florets* 1 cup diced asparagus, optional 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced 1 medium yellow or green pepper, thinly sliced 1 cup diced scallions (green onions) 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed 1 can (11 ounces) canned corn, drained 2 cups warm cooked rice**
Dressing1/4 cup rice vinegar 1/4 cup olive oil 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon honey salt and pepper to taste
Blanch broccoli and asparagus in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain in a colander and chill under cold water. Place on a large bowl. Add peppers, scallions, black beans, and corn. Add rice and stir to mix.
In a small food processor, combine dressing ingredients. Pour desired amount of dressing over rice mixture. Stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate. Stir again before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.
* Choose any combination of vegetables of your choice. **Note: The rice develops better flavor if combined with the dressing while the rice is still warm.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 240 Fat, gm.: 7 Protein, gm.: 6 Carbs, gm.: 39 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 5.4
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire