A wonderful full-flavored meal that will warm you on a cold winter night.
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 pound low fat turkey sausage, 1" slices
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
15 ounces fat-free chicken broth, divided
15 ounces canned seasoned diced tomatoes
15 ounces canned great northern beans, canned
salt and pepper to taste
In a large deep heavy skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and sausage. Cook over medium-hot heat until browned. Remove chicken and sausage from pan and set aside. Add onions and carrots to the skillet and cook until tender.
Add garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the broth and bring to a boil. Stir to deglaze the pan. Add tomatoes, beans, and reserved meat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until it reaches desired consistency. Stir occasionally. For a thinner consistency, add additional broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: This dish can be thinned or thickened to desired consistency. It can be served as a soup or allow it to thicken and serve it on top of noodles or rice.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 11
Protein, gm. 51
Carbs, gm. 36
Cholesterol, mg. 100
Fiber, gm. 8.2
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 closed near Blue Mounds due to semi vs. car crash
- Police, medical examiner respond to suspicious death
- Construction continues on Capitol Square; new traffic pattern starts May 1