The flavor of fresh apples combined with chicken, mushrooms and red peppers will fill your kitchen with the flavors of fall.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 pound boned and skinned chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, sliced
Sauce ingredients 3/4 cup apple juice 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 tablespoon ginger 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper 2 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste 1/4 cup cashews or roasted peanuts
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil and add chicken cubes. Cook over medium-hot heat until brown on all sides. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add peppers and apples and cook until tender-crisp.
While peppers are cooking, combine sauce ingredients. Mix well. Pour into skillet. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens to desired consistency. Add additional chicken broth to thin or add additional cornstarch to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cashews right before serving. Serve over cooked rice.
Nutritional Information per serving without the rice:
Calories 310 Fat, gm. 9 Protein, gm. 30 Carb. gm. 27 Cholesterol, mg. 65 Fiber, gm. 3.8
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs