Dress up your ordinary corn dish with this new recipe. Combine corn with peppers, milk, eggs, and cheese and bake it in individual ramekins. They can be baked ahead of time and refrigerated. When ready to serve, warm them in the microwave.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely sliced
- 3 cups frozen corn or canned corn that has been drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter eight 1 cup ramekins or custard cups that are oven-proof. If you prefer, this can also be baked in one larger 6 cup baking dish.
In a small skillet, heat butter. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add peppers and cook until tender. Spoon into large bowl. Add corn, milk, egg beaters or eggs, pepper, salt, and 3/4 cup of cheese. Divide corn mixture into the 8 ramekins. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 - 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 170
- Fat, gm. 6
- Protein, gm. 9
- Carbs, gm. 20
- Cholesterol, mg. 20
- Fiber, gm. 1.9
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 reopens near Blue Mounds after semi vs. car crash
- Police: Family member found elderly woman dead in garage with head wound