This may be the best carrot cake you have ever served and it is almost fat-free. (Don't tell anyone!)
4 cups (10 ounces) grated carrots (spooned, not packed into cup) 2 cups sugar 8 ounces canned crushed pineapple, undrained 1 cup canned fruit puree* 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 degrees if using a glass or non-stick pan. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan or two 9" round baking pans.
In a large bowl combine carrots, sugar, pineapple, prune puree, eggs and vanilla; stir to blend thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients except coconut; mix completely. Stir in coconut. Spread batter in pan. Bake about 40 - 45 minutes or until set in the middle. Cool on rack. Remove from pan if desired. Frost if desired.
Frosting: 8 ounces low fat cream cheese 1 tablespoon butter 3 cups powdered sugar 1/4 teaspoon butter flavored extract 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread frosting on cake. Sprinkle with nuts and coconut.
* Fruit purees, which are butter and oil replacements, are found in the grocery store isles with the cooking oils and shortenings. Two brands are "Sunsweet Lighter Bake" and "Smuckers"s Baking Healthy".
Nutritional Information per serving without frosting:
Calories 215 Fat, gm. 1 Protein, gm. 3 Carb. gm. 48 Cholesterol, mg. 25 Fiber, gm. 1.6
Nutritional Information per serving with frosting: Calories 365 Fat, gm. 6 Protein, gm. 4 Carb. gm. 74 Cholesterol, mg. 35 Fiber, gm. 1.6
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Madison cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case