This has just the right combinations of flavors for a fantastic fall soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 cup chopped onions 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 4 cups fat-free chicken broth 1 package (12 ounces) frozen butternut squash or 1-½ cups mashed squash 1 medium fresh pear, cored, peeled, and cubed 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme 2 teaspoons brown sugar 1/4 cup white wine or sherry Fresh thyme for garnish
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream 2 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice 1 teaspoon honey
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and ginger. Cook until onions are translucent. Add broth, squash, pears, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add white pepper, ground thyme, and brown sugar. Using a hand held immersion blender, blend soup to the desired consistency.*
When ready to serve, add wine. Garnish individual bowls with sprig of fresh thyme.
For optional topping, combine all topping ingredients. Place in plastic squeeze bottle.
When ready to serve soup, squeeze a swirl design on top of each bowl of soup.
*Note: The soup can be partially blended or completely blended to a smooth puree.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 150 Fat, gm.: 3 Protein, gm.: 3 Carbs, gm.: 28 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 3.1
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike