This has just the right combinations of flavors for a fantastic fall soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 cup chopped onions 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 4 cups fat-free chicken broth 1 package (12 ounces) frozen butternut squash or 1-½ cups mashed squash 1 medium fresh pear, cored, peeled, and cubed 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme 2 teaspoons brown sugar 1/4 cup white wine or sherry Fresh thyme for garnish
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream 2 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice 1 teaspoon honey
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and ginger. Cook until onions are translucent. Add broth, squash, pears, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add white pepper, ground thyme, and brown sugar. Using a hand held immersion blender, blend soup to the desired consistency.*
When ready to serve, add wine. Garnish individual bowls with sprig of fresh thyme.
For optional topping, combine all topping ingredients. Place in plastic squeeze bottle.
When ready to serve soup, squeeze a swirl design on top of each bowl of soup.
*Note: The soup can be partially blended or completely blended to a smooth puree.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 150 Fat, gm.: 3 Protein, gm.: 3 Carbs, gm.: 28 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 3.1
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to fourth OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street