This soup is smooth and full of the flavors of fall.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped 1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder 2 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth, divided 1 tablespoon flour 12 ounces frozen mashed butternut squash* 1/8 teaspoon white pepper 1/2 cup fat-free milk 2 tablespoons brandy, optional salt and pepper to taste 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream parsley for garnish
In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and apple. Cook until tender. Add curry powder and 3 cups of broth. In a small shaker or jar, combine remaining broth and flour. Shake well. Add to pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring. Continue to boil gently until apples are very tender. Add squash, white pepper, and milk. Heat through. Using a hand held blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add brandy if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with parsley.
Note: One and one-half cups of freshly cooked mashed squash can be used in place of the package of frozen squash.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 130 Fat, gm.: 3 Protein, gm.: 4 Carbs, gm.: 22 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 2.5
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth