Wow -- you won't believe that this creamy flavorful soup could be so low in fat and calories!
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 bay leaf
12 ounces evaporated skim milk
4 ounces (6 single slices) fat-free processed cheddar type cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large heavy soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add potatoes, broccoli, chicken broth, and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover pan and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Use an immersion blender and blend until the desired consistency. It can be made completely smooth or leave a few lumps for texture. Add milk, cheese, and white pepper. Heat until cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Fat-free processed cheese will be labeled "Non-fat pasteurized process cheese product. " It is better know as fat-free cheese singles. You can use a regular cheddar cheese in this soup but a processed cheese will melt better. Other cheeses sometimes get stringy when melted.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 1
Protein, gm. 13
Carbs, gm. 18
Cholesterol, mg. 5
Fiber, gm. 3.1
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 Janesville motorcyclists
- Man accused in deadly wrong-way I-94 wreck not competent, judge says
- Woman inappropriately touched at dance class on UW campus, police say
- Black Hawk Middle School principal resigns
- Man who was high driving school bus sentenced
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline