These are light textured scones that are packed full of healthy blueberries.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unthawed frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 medium egg white, beaten until frothy
- 1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a heavy cookie sheet. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture.
With a pastry blender or knife, cut in butter until mixture resembles course corn meal. Mix egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Form a well in the flour mixture and pour in liquid. Stir with a fork to blend. (Dough will not be completely mixed at this point.) Gently stir in blueberries.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead 5 6 times or until a fairly smooth dough is formed. Roll out dough or pat dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes of your choice. Place on cookie sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 13 - 20 minutes or until just lightly browned. Do not over-bake or they will be dry. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 125 Fat, gm. 3 Protein, gm. 3 Carb. gm. 22 Cholesterol, mg. 20 Fiber, gm. 0.5
- Police: Woman stabbed with scissors in neck by her boyfriend
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed
- Woman arrested, suspected of abducting her kids
- ACLU: Youth prison lawsuit prompted by silence from investigators
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles