For a breakfast sweet treat, prepare this unique healthful bread pudding.
12 ounces bread,* (top crusts removed) cut in 1" cubes (about 6 cups) 4 ounces Neufchatel or regular cream cheese, cut in 1/4" cubes 1 cup sugar-free blackberry jam, warmed in a microwave 1 cup Egg Beaters or 4 eggs 2 cups fat-free milk or milk of your choice 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup brown sugar
Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Place one-half of the bread cubes in bottom of pan. Top with cubes of cream cheese and drizzle with jam. Top with remaining bread. In a small bowl, combine Egg Beaters or eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Press down lightly with spatula or your hands. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top. Continue to bake uncovered 20 ? 30 minutes or until set. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with blueberry or maple syrup if desired.
*If bread comes in a 1 pound loaf, use ¾ of the loaf.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 240 Fat, gm.: 4 Protein, gm.: 9 Carbs, gm.: 42 Cholesterol, mg.: 12 Fiber, gm.: 1.4
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say