For a breakfast sweet treat, prepare this unique healthful bread pudding.
12 ounces bread,* (top crusts removed) cut in 1" cubes (about 6 cups) 4 ounces Neufchatel or regular cream cheese, cut in 1/4" cubes 1 cup sugar-free blackberry jam, warmed in a microwave 1 cup Egg Beaters or 4 eggs 2 cups fat-free milk or milk of your choice 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup brown sugar
Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Place one-half of the bread cubes in bottom of pan. Top with cubes of cream cheese and drizzle with jam. Top with remaining bread. In a small bowl, combine Egg Beaters or eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Press down lightly with spatula or your hands. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top. Continue to bake uncovered 20 ? 30 minutes or until set. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with blueberry or maple syrup if desired.
*If bread comes in a 1 pound loaf, use ¾ of the loaf.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 240 Fat, gm.: 4 Protein, gm.: 9 Carbs, gm.: 42 Cholesterol, mg.: 12 Fiber, gm.: 1.4
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall