Pumpkin is the special secret ingredient. This soup has a wonderful full flavor and is loaded with nutrients. It is high in protein, fiber, vitamin A, folate, and yet low in fat and calories.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 3 - 15 ounce cans black beans
- 1 - 16 ounce can pumpkin
- 1 - 30 ounce can garlic flavored diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound low fat kielbasa or ham, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook over medium heat until lightly brown. Add garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until ready to serve. Add extra chicken broth if it gets too thick. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Note: *For extra flavor, use canned Southwestern flavored black beans.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 240 Fat, gm. 5 Protein, gm. 18 Carb. gm. 29 Cholesterol, mg. 20 Fiber, gm. 8
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs