Combine rhubarb sauce with traditional baked custard and you have a special dessert.
1-1/2 cups rhubarb, diced 1-1/2 tablespoons orange juice, frozen concentrate 1/3 cup brown sugar or Splenda
Custard 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk 1/2 cup fat-free milk 3 eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 cup sugar 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 8 custard cups with butter spray. In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb, orange juice concentrate, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook for 2 - 3 minute or just until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine all custard ingredients. Mix well. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon of rhubarb sauce into bottom of each custard cup. Pour egg and milk mixture on top of the rhubarb. Place custard cups in a baking pan. Place that pan in a larger pan of hot water. Bake in the hot water bath for 40 minutes or until set in the middle. Remove from oven and go around the edges of each custard cup with a sharp knife to loosen. To serve, tip custard cup onto individual plates. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 1
Protein, gm. 5
Carbs, gm. 20
Cholesterol, mg. 65
Fiber, gm. 0.3
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry