MADISON, Wis. - Longtime Democratic Secretary of State Doug La Follette said he is considering running against Republican Gov. Scott Walker if there is a recall.
La Follette said on Thursday he has been thinking about it for a few weeks and will take some more time before deciding what to do. La Follette says if polling shows he would be the strongest candidate, he would make an argument Democrats should support him.
No Democrat has officially said they will take on Walker if enough signatures are collected to force a recall election. Jan. 17 is the deadline for petitions to be returned.
La Follette is the only Democrat currently in statewide office, which he says gives him name recognition and an advantage over others. He was first elected secretary of state in 1974.
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- State schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Shell casings found after gunshots heard in Fitchburg
- Madison police investigate attempted homicide
- Hotel Week attracts visitors and locals
- City clerk expects higher voter turnout for spring primary election than recent years