MADISON, Wis. - Longtime Democratic Secretary of State Doug La Follette said he is considering running against Republican Gov. Scott Walker if there is a recall.
La Follette said on Thursday he has been thinking about it for a few weeks and will take some more time before deciding what to do. La Follette says if polling shows he would be the strongest candidate, he would make an argument Democrats should support him.
No Democrat has officially said they will take on Walker if enough signatures are collected to force a recall election. Jan. 17 is the deadline for petitions to be returned.
La Follette is the only Democrat currently in statewide office, which he says gives him name recognition and an advantage over others. He was first elected secretary of state in 1974.
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement
- Uncertainty creates challenges for growth in manufacturing
- Inmates sue over conditions at Wisconsin youth prison
- Crews put out, monitor insulation fire at construction site, officials say
- Janesville man killed in crash on I-90 near South Beloit