A malfunctioning dehumidifier is being blamed for a fire that damaged a home in Monroe on Monday, according to the Monroe Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 1700 block of 13th Street at 5:49 p.m. for a report of a possible home explosion. The caller said the explosion occurred in the basement and there was smoke coming out of the windows.
Firefighters said they found smoke coming from the home when they arrived and discovered fire in a back storage room in a corner of the basement.
The dehumidifier caught fire, and the fire extended into a closet, according to investigators.
The fire caused about $25,000 in damage to the structure and $15,000 in damage to the contents.
The residents are staying with family until the home can be cleaned and repaired.