MADISON, Wis. - Republican Tommy Thompson's latest ad in the Wisconsin Senate race accuses his Democratic opponent Tammy Baldwin and her supporters of lying.
The ad released statewide on Monday refers to a rating last month by the independent fact-checking group PolitiFact declaring as "false" comments made in a television spot by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
However, a tally of PolitiFact ratings of what the candidates themselves have said shows Baldwin fares better than Thompson.
Baldwin has gotten only one "false" rating, three "mostly false" ratings, two "half true," one "mostly true" and one "true."
Thompson's statements have been rated false six times. He's also received three ratings of "pants on fire," which is determined to be an egregious lie.
Thompson has received three "true" ratings and five "mostly true."
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire