MADISON, Wis. - Five teens were detained by police after a daylight attack on a 69-year-old Madison man, according to a release from Madison police.
The man told police he was walking in the 6500 block of Schroeder Road just after 7 p.m. on Monday when a group of boys approached him from behind. He said the blow hurt him but he stood his ground and said he was calling police as the teens fled.
The man described the teens, including one with a distinct hairstyle that helped police identify the group as it walked near the intersection of Watts Road and Struck Street.
The 14-year-old accused of hitting the man told police some of his friends encouraged him to do it. One of the other group members admitted to police that his friend struck the man.
The 14-year-old was arrested on suspicion of battery to an elderly or at-risk individual. The other four were released to parents and police will recommend that each be charged with being a party to the crime.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program