MADISON, Wis. - Someone claiming to be a student in Switzerland sent a fake check to a Madison woman who was looking to sublet her apartment this summer, according to a release from Madison police.
The 19-year-old downtown resident told police she was using Craiglist to sublet her apartment in the 200 block of West Lakelawn Place and got an offer from someone named "Alexa Adams," who said she was moving to Madison to conduct medical research.
The scammer told her that her boss would pay the entire cost of the rent and utilities in one check, but that the check also included the money she needed to for her flight, police said. She was instructed to cash the check and wire the money for the flight to Switzerland.
The woman's bank told her the check was fake.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say