MADISON, Wis. - A Madison man followed a suspected drunken driver around Madison's east side while calling police until the truck came to a stop Thursday.
The 38-year-old witness told police he noticed a man driving a truck erratically past him on Highway 30 at about 6 p.m. and called police. The man followed the truck on Aberg Avenue where the witness said the truck struck a vehicle while turning right onto North Sherman Avenue.
The truck pulled over on Huxley Street at Northwestern Avenue. The witness asked nearby residents to call 911 because the battery on his cellphone had died.
Police said an open beer was found in the cab of the truck along with empty beer cans, an empty vodka bottle and an open bottle of wine.
Danny A. Schroeder, 39, of Cross Plains, was arrested on suspicion of second offense operating under the influence, duty upon striking a vehicle, intoxicants in a vehicle, operating a vehicle without insurance and cited on suspicion of casual possession of marijuana.
- Bill would limit influence of unions on public project bids
- Dane County inmate who was AWOL 10 days back in custody
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested