MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Sheriff's Office is warning about a return of scammers to the area.
Authorities say during the spring and fall, scammers will pose as crews going door to door in neighborhoods, saying they have leftover asphalt from a nearby job, and offer what they say are "good deals."
The Sheriff's Office says in reality, crews generally have undesirable materials, and when the work is done, it will cost an exorbitant amount of money.
Scammers have been targeting residents in the southeastern part of the county so far, and tend to target the elderly.
No one as fallen victim.
If you are approached by one of these crews, write down the license plate of the vehicle, and if have an incident you'd like to report, call 608-266-4948.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement