JANESVILLE, Wis. - Janesville residents are back in their homes after being evacuated by police due to a report of shots fired Sunday afternoon.
Dispatch confirmed police were sent to the 300 block of East Racine Street at 4:17 p.m.
Janesville police Sgt. Mike Blaser said officers had a perimeter blocked off around the residence while they attempted to contact someone inside. At the time, police didn't know if anyone was inside the home.
Sgt. Mark Ratzlaff told News 3 police attempted to make contact with the alleged person or persons inside the home, but were unsuccessful. Ratzlaff said a SWAT team entered the home and discovered there was no one inside.
Sgt. Ratzlaff said police cleared the house and the surrounding roads. He said an investigation continues into several other leads, but there are no suspects at this time.
The Janesville Police Department classified Sunday's incident as a false report.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says