MADISON, Wis. - Madison police say the number of residential burglaries in the city is up in recent weeks, with 31 burglaries reported during the last week of March.
There were 15 burglaries the week of March 17, and 19 burglaries the week of March 10, according to police. The burglaries occurred in many areas of the city, with some clustering in the Greentree Neighborhood on the west side and the Regent Street corridor.
In one case, a 70-year-old woman living in the 3500 block of Milwaukee Street reported a burglary Friday morning. She told police she woke to find her backdoor kicked in and her purse missing. She told police she heard banging sounds during the night but thought it was animals outside her house.
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says