A prison nurse convicted of sexual assault after having sex with an inmate has lost her appeal.
Laurie Blum of Fond du Lac worked as a nurse at Kettle Moraine Correctional Institution, in Sheboygan County. She was convicted last year of second-degree sexual assault after admitting having sex with an inmate in the prison's health services unit about six different times.
She appealed the conviction. The Second District Court of Appeals on Wednesday rejected all of her arguments and upheld her conviction.
Blum argued in part that the law preventing inmates and prison workers from having sex is overly broad because it criminalizes all sexual activity, regardless of whether the staff member has authority over the inmate.
But the court says the law is narrowly written to keep prisons safe.
- One person dead after bizarre incident on I-94
- Madison officer who shot at Metro Market killer awarded
- Edgerton man calls for action over medical billing problem
- Coalition calls on city to immediately fund 15-point violence prevention plan
- Sherrif's department investigates sexting scandal involving local high school students
- Impaired driving police operation nets in multiple arrests, 2 guns seized