Sun Prairie Assistant Police Chief Scott Faust told News 3 the police department has sent reports to District Attorney Ismael Ozanne recommending that Dakota Black be charged with homicide in the death of 5-year-old Brayden Turnbill.
Faust told News 3, "We only have one suspect, it's Dakota Black, and that's who we've recommended charges on."
Faust said it will be up to the district attorney to determine whether to file homicide charges against Black.
The DA's office said it's unknown when Black will have an initial appearance, since he is already in jail on a probation hold.
Black, 24, is the boyfriend of Brayden Turnbill's mother, police said. Turnbill died Oct. 24 of injuries allegedly resulting from child abuse at a home in Sun Prairie.
The Dane County medical examiner deemed Turnbill's manner of death homicide, but provided no further details.
Community members have set up a benefit fund to help with funeral expenses and possibly hold a memorial for Brayden. Any money left over will be donated to child abuse prevention organizations.
Donations can be dropped off at any of the four Bank of Sun Prairie locations or mailed to Stop Child Abuse, 1223 W. Main St. Box 1000, Sun Prairie, WI 53590. Checks can be made out to the Brayden Turnbill Fund.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need