MADISON, Wis. - Two home burglaries reported on the same street are probably related, according to Madison police.
Police were called to a home in the 1900 block of Jefferson Street at 11:15 a.m. Monday when a 75-year-old woman returned home to find her front-door window pane smashed out. Officers said they believe the burglar was interrupted and left through the back door empty-handed.
Later the same day a couple called police when it returned to its home in the 1700 block of Jefferson Street to find glass broken out the front door. Police said several thousand dollars worth of jewelry were taken.
Police said the timing, proximity and nature of the crimes suggests the burglaries are related.
- No injuries reported in burst of afternoon gunfire in residential neighborhood
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'