MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they arrested a 44-year-old man for theft Friday morning.
Police said Timothy Ingram stole a backpack out of a California couple's car while they were in Madison, visiting their son. The victims described to police the black and gray Land's End backpack to police and said three digital cameras and an Apple iPad were inside.
The victim was able to find the approximate location of the iPad, thanks to the gadget's GPS. He told police the signal was coming from Lake Wingra.
The officer went to the park and found an iPad charging inside an empty Chevy Astro van. Ingram, the van's driver, appeared, and the officer asked him if the iPad was his. Ingram told the officer that it was not, and police said he confessed to the theft.
Police said the California couple was happy to have their property back. Police estimated the property was valued at $4,000. Police said the couple was excited to see how technology turned them into amateur gumshoes.
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms