MADISON, Wis. - A Madison man was arrested after a 15-year-old girl said a man tried to coax her into his car, according to police.
The girl told police she was walking on Hughes Place at about 7:25 a.m. Tuesday on her way to catch her bus when a man asked her if she wanted to come with him. The girl ran to a nearby home and the suspect followed in his car, according to police.
The girl's mother was able to give police a description of the man, his car, and his license plate number.
Police said someone who had heard about the attempted enticement smashed the back window out of the suspect's car which is when the man drove off. Police said they don't know who broke the window.
Police said they used the information provided by the girl's mother to track find the man's residence on East Gorham Road where officers waited for him to arrive.
William A. Rhode, 68, was arrested on suspicion of child enticement. He told police he was in the Park Street area to buy fast food and denied wrongdoing.
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 Janesville motorcyclists
- Man accused in deadly wrong-way I-94 wreck not competent, judge says
- Woman inappropriately touched at dance class on UW campus, police say
- Black Hawk Middle School principal resigns
- Man who was high driving school bus sentenced
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline