MADISON, Wis. - Madison police are looking for two more potential suspects in the Aug. 1 beating of Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.
Ball was attacked while walking in the 500 block of University Avenue. He suffered a concussion from the early morning assault.
The three University of Wisconsin-Madison students have been charged with party to the crime of substantial battery in connection with the beating.
Madison police said they're looking for two more suspects. Witnesses told police five individuals were involved.
Images released by police show the men they're looking for.
Madison police Detective Dave Gouran testified at a court hearing for Wendell J. Venerable, Deonte J. Wilson and Robert A. Wilks that people nearby heard the attackers say they planned to beat up football players in retaliation for a previous fight at a party when one of them was hurt.
Police said that two different sets of video surveillance cameras, one at Peace Park and another outside a downtown apartment, helped investigators identify the suspects.
On Oct. 2, a judge determined there was enough evidence for the case against Venerable, Wilson and Wilks to proceed, and the men were bound over for trial.
Wilson told WISC-TV he was wrongly accused and denied involvement in the attack.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes