MADISON, Wis. - A group of workers that were paid to blacktop a parking lot at an east side motel have apparently skipped town, and Madison police are investigating the case for possible fraud charges.
The employee of the Super 8 hotel on Hayes Road paid $2,500 to a group of guys traveling through town to blacktop the motel lot, according to Madison police. Police said the employee also gave the men a couple of rooms at the hotel.
Police said by the time the group of men got a ¼ of the way done on the job, it was apparent they weren't very good, and the hotel staff wanted the $2,500 check returned. Police said the crew failed to give the check back and left the rooms in a state of "severe mess" before leaving town.
Police are looking for a number of men who were traveling in a brown Suburban type vehicle with Washington state plates. The leader of the group told the motel employee his name was "Calvin Demitro." However, police and the motel employee now aren't sure if that name was legitimate.
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire