MADISON, Wis. - Police across Wisconsin will be putting extra emphasis on tracking down drunken drivers this holiday season under the "Booze and Belts" campaign.
The initiative runs from Friday through Dec. 16. It focuses both on impaired drivers and those not wearing seat belts.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation said last December, 51 people died and there were 11,000 traffic crashes across the state. More than 3,500 people were injured.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls