MADISON, Wis. - Five children under the age of 4 were on board a SUV caught going 70 mph on Cottage Grove Road Tuesday night, according to a report from Madison police.
Police said the driver, Sholonda T. Jones, 22, told officers she needed to break the 35 mph speed limit because the engine was smoking and she needed to get coolant quickly before the SUV blew up. An officer opened the hood and found no problems.
The officer said there were three children in the backseat and two more in the cargo area that also contained a bottle of transmission fluid, a shard of glass and a bottle of prescription drugs.
Jones was arrested on suspicion of second-degree reckless endangerment, felony bail jumping and operating while revoked.
The children were put in the custody of a trusted adult.Madison crime map
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say
- State Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- State dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Madison man claims $50,000 lottery prize
- Consumer Reports: How to ease stress of moving