TOWN OF MENASHA, Wis. - Authorities say the Town of Menasha police officer who fatally shot an armed 66-year-old man last week is the department's firearms instructor.
The police department on Tuesday identified the officer as Lt. Gary Cutler, a 17-year veteran of the force.
Cutler also is an assistant team leader on the Appleton Police Department SWAT team, which serves both the City of Appleton and the Town of Menasha.
Officers were sent to an apartment complex Friday evening after Wilson A. Lutz threatened to harm himself. Police say he was distraught over a relationship. Police said Cutler shot Lutz twice when he refused orders to drop his gun and pointed it at the officers.
Cutler was placed on paid leave, standard in such cases. The Winnebago County district attorney's office is investigating.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash