TOWN OF MENASHA, Wis. - Authorities say the Town of Menasha police officer who fatally shot an armed 66-year-old man last week is the department's firearms instructor.
The police department on Tuesday identified the officer as Lt. Gary Cutler, a 17-year veteran of the force.
Cutler also is an assistant team leader on the Appleton Police Department SWAT team, which serves both the City of Appleton and the Town of Menasha.
Officers were sent to an apartment complex Friday evening after Wilson A. Lutz threatened to harm himself. Police say he was distraught over a relationship. Police said Cutler shot Lutz twice when he refused orders to drop his gun and pointed it at the officers.
Cutler was placed on paid leave, standard in such cases. The Winnebago County district attorney's office is investigating.
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics
- Police find 20 bullet casings in far east side park
- Bill would limit influence of unions on public project bids
- Dane County inmate who was AWOL 10 days back in custody
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution