MILWAUKEE - A competency exam has been ordered for a Milwaukee woman accused of killing her 4-year-old son by setting him on fire.
Twenty-three-year-old Amelia DiStasio appeared in court Friday on a charge of first-degree intentional homicide. A preliminary hearing was postponed until the mental exam can take place. A report is due by Nov. 3.
According to the complaint, authorities were called about smoke at DiStasio's south side apartment Sept. 28 and found her son Antonio's burned and lifeless body in the bathtub. The mother was not home. A witness says she saw DiStasio climb out of the apartment window and run away.
A police officer later found DiStasio walking and arrested her.
- Parisi: Affordable driver's ed program reaches six more school districts
- New salt certification program looks to lower contamination levels in Madison water
- Residents concerned about proposed music festival
- Nelnet to buy rival student loan firm for $150 million
- Phase one of Great Sauk State Trail is now open
- Democratic bill hopes to end practice of shackling inmates during childbirth