FOND DU LAC, Wis. - A man who caused a bonfire explosion that hurt seven people won't be going to jail or prison.
Twenty-six-year-old Kyle DeRuyter avoided a possible 15-year prison sentence and received seven years of probation Wednesday in Fond du Lac County Circuit Court.
Judge Dale English ordered DeRuyter to write letters of apology to each of the victims, pay restitution and do 20 hours of community service each year on probation.
The West Bend man was found guilty of injury by negligence. A criminal complaint states DeRuyter dropped a 5-gallon can of gas on a bonfire in Campbellsport in June 2011, causing the explosion that injured his friends.
The Fond du Lac Reporter reported District Attorney Dan Kaminsky agreed with the defense that prison or jail time was not needed.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says