MADISON, Wis. - A Waunakee man dressed as Santa Claus rear-ended a sheriff's SUV Saturday evening, according to the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
At about 7:30 p.m., a sheriff's deputy in the SUV was attempting to slow traffic due to an accident, authorities said.
The crash occurred on County Highway K just east of County Highway Q in the Town of Westport.
The driver, 69-year-old John Schuster of Waunakee, was dressed as Santa Claus and told deputies he was returning home from a holiday party at the American Legion in Westport.
Schuster was arrested for a fourth offense operating while intoxicated.
The deputy sustained minor injuries and was assessed by EMS.
According to the report, the Dane County Sheriff's Office vehicle was unmarked but had its emergency lights activated.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement